High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, affects millions of Americans- even some children. It is the most common cardiovascular disease. High blood pressure can threaten arteries and lead to strokes and heart disease. It affects more than 73 milllion people in the U.S. There are ways to treat and prevent high blood pressure though. Follow these steps to achieve a normal range.
1. If you smoke, quit.
2. Control stress and tension. Click here for tips on controlling stress.
3. Lose weight if you are overweight.
4. Get regular aerobic exercise. (Check with your Dr. before starting an exercise program.)
5. Reduce the amount of sodium in your diet.
6. If you are an adult, limit your alcohol intake. People under the age of 21 should not consume alcohol.
7. Follow a heart healthy diet. Decrease unhealthy fats, choose low-fat protein sources, increase fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
8. Get regular check-ups from your Dr.
For more information on Blood Pressure, visit the websites below:
The American Dietetic Association
The American Heart Association
The Mayo Clinic